The need for Personal Organization becomes clear once you start feeling overwhelmed. It may happen for many reasons:
- Your data is all over the place, and you don’t know where to store or retrieve information/data
- You use many online services and don’t know what is where
- You lose “stuff” regularly
- You forget a lot
- Your mailbox is a mess
- Your file system is a mess
- Your cloud storage is a mess
- Your desktop is a mess
- Your house is a mess
- Your mind is a mess
- You juggle between many tasks and don’t feel you’re making progress
- You’re often late for meetings, assignments or projects
- You forget too many things
- You have no clear plans
- You do make plans, but never find the motivation to act
- You don’t know what to do next
- You procrastinate a lot
- You never have time for yourself
- You read a ton of non-fiction, but it doesn't help you
If you’re feeling lost or overwhelmed for any of the above reasons, it means that you’re in trouble, and you clearly need to organize yourself. You need a system to stop feeling overwhelmed, avoid wasting time, and be more productive.
When you’re disorganized, it is unfortunately much easier to lose information/data. Either because you just can’t find it back, or because you don’t have backups and/or disaster recovery plans in place. And it’s really hard to be truly productive without a clear mind, clear goals and plans, and a systematic approach to making meaningful progress.
As Knowledge Workers, having a solid Personal Organization System is a MUST.
Ready to get to the next level?
If so, then check out the Knowledge Worker Kit, the Obsidian Starter Kit, the Obsidian Starter Course, the PKM Library, a PKM coaching session with me, my collection of books about software development and the IT Concepts Wall 🔥.
If you want to discuss, then don't hesitate to join the Personal Knowledge Management community or the Software Crafters community.
Hello everyone! I'm Sébastien Dubois (you can follow me on Twitter 🐦).
I'm an author, founder, and CTO. I write books and articles about software development & IT, personal knowledge management, personal organization, and productivity. I also craft lovely digital products 🚀
If you've enjoyed this article and want to read more like this, then become a member.